Edit – October 2012
A few years ago we posted this article on getting your business listed on the iPhone Maps app, which at the time was using Google Maps data. With the update to iOS6, Apple has moved away from the Google Maps platform.
Here’s the updated workflow:
- Begin by opening the Apple Maps app
- Search for your business name
- If the name does not appear select the page fold in the bottom right corner
- Above “Print” select Report a Problem
- Select Location is Missing and then hit next
- Position the pin to the correct location of your business and then hit next
- Now you will enter your business details and make sure you select a category
- When you’ve provided all the information needed you can then hit send.
Some reports say that the listing appears right away and others report a period of time in between the posting.
Well, it is pretty easy to get listed in Google Maps for the iPhone. Just head on over to Google’s Local Business Center at www.google.com/local/add and login with your Google account. Of course you have a Google account because you followed our advice on installing Google Analytics.
The Local Business Center interface walks you through the process with a step-by-step interface, so go ahead and walk through that to sign up your business. Since the process is easy, let me give you some tips:
- Fill out as much as you can
- Optimize your categories to relate to searches
- Add good description text
- Add images and videos
- Use your additional details section to add services and other important keywords
Get in Google Local today to take advantage of the opportunities. If you are looking to make sure you are listed in other applications such as UrbanSpoon, you may need to research their source and get added to the directory. Fortunately, many get their information from Google Local, so it is the best way to start.